Wednesday, March 12, 2008


So, I have been "tagged" by my sister Nikki to tell to write some of the words from the nearest book I'm reading...so here goes:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next five sentences.
5. Tag five people.

So just so y'all know, the book I'm currently reading is "Porter Rockwell--A biography". (also--for those of you who don't know--he was Joseph Smiths friend and bodyguard.) I heard a song that said Porter was a "modern-day Samson" and I had no idea that Joseph Smith told Porter not to cut his hair, and to live faithfully, and that his enemies would have no power over him, that they would not be able to take his life. I told Mom and Dad Winn--and apparently lots of people knew that..soo, I decided to do some research. Porter Rockwell was mostly illiterate so nearly all the book is taken from others accounts. Anyway, it's super interesting. And now, here are the sentences:

"To the nearly deserted streets of Nauvoo, Porter finally returned. While walking down a lonely road he quietly reminisced on his former friendship with the Prophet, and chanced to come upon his son, Joseph Smith, III, a 13-year-old lad.
Young Joseph mentions in his memoirs, "I saw him coming down the street, and I ran across our yard, climbed the fence , and jumped down on the other side close by him, greeting him and extending my hand. He shook it warmly, put an arm affectionately across my shoulders, and said, with much emotion, 'Oh, Joseph, Joseph! they have killed the only friend I have ever had!'"

So ya--that was a sad part, and really--lots of the book is about how hard his life must have been, but it's documented really well and has helped me learn a lot about that time.

Okay...Thanks Nikki. love ya!

2 comments:

Bryson Family said...

Great tag! Now all of us are impressed - not just that you are reading a real book (as opposed to me, who can't seem to read anything longer than a magazine article lately), but nonfiction at that!

Brent said...

Hi, my name is Brent Winn, age 51, from Bakersfield California. I found your site via Blog Web Search. We are also LDS, originally from SLC area. My father was adopted by his stepfather, Raymond Earnest Winn who was born on January 1, 1900. If you follow the links on my Blogger profile you will see that I am beginning to build a family "reunion" site to help us keep in touch with our extended family. So, I wonder if your family and ours have a genealogical link not too many generations back ?

-Brent