Monday, July 28, 2014

Luke 2014


April 13, 2014
Luke turns 8!!!!


Favorite Food: "Pizza. No wait- ice cream"
Favorite Color: Red
Favorite Time Spenders: Mindcraft, and Steal the  Flag
Teacher-School/Church: Mrs. Mendez/ Walter Adamson and Bro. Johnson
Food Expertise: Fried Eggs and Mac and Cheese
Closest Friends: Owen, Ian, Jo, Bridger



Jess and I love watching the transformation that happens around 8 years old. When they truly are understanding more of what is happening around them and becoming accountable for their actions.  Luke has been so beautiful to watch.  He plays so much more with his little brothers, is so sad when he makes mistakes, and just has had more heart for life.  WE LOVE HIM SOOO MUCH!
What can I say about that little guy...for starters:

HE LOVE'S:(it's not that he's just loving....he naturally just really loves people):  
Luke is the first in all our family to do a secret service.  He'll help grandma pick the raspberries or weed the garden, He makes me breakfast in bed all the time. The other morning Rhett had been having a hard time being happy in the morning for some reason.  Luke bounded upstairs and I saw him a few minutes later handing me a plate of breakfast and bringing me back to my bed.  (It had two different types of toast with jam on it, and a thermos with Carnation Instant Breakfast.)  He said "I knew you were having a hard time with Garrett. And I just wanted to help." Then Rhett asked for breakfast right after that, and Luke said 'I'll get it'.  In fact he volunteers to cook the family meals a ton.  And he probably wraps up and gives Jess gifts and trinkets at least once a month.  He LOVES his aunts and uncles and cousins and wants to be with them always.  He's such a good friend and has strong loyalties.  

HE'S CREATIVE:Just the other day he made the coolest thing by just exploring ideas.  He used a magnet on the bottom of a paper plate to move a paper clip on the top. Then he drew a road to drive it on, and taped down tin foil in arches to create tunnels or bridges and a garage to send his paper clip through.  He just LOVES digging into our craft supplies and making ANYTHING. I generally find out he's been 'exploring ideas' afterwards as I look at a counter full of puff balls, scrap paper, glue, tape, staples, markers....I guess the cleaning up comes later?

HE'S PASSIONATE: He wears his emotions on his sleeve--good and bad. He's quick to say "Thanks so much mom!" when he's happy about something, and he's also quick to scream out at a brother that's hurt him.  (His voice is very very present in letting us know how he's feeling :)  When he gets in trouble, his heart breaks and there is genuine sorrow.  He makes mistakes, and he explores agency on an 8 year old level, and I love it.  I'm soooo glad he's exploring now, and learning those valuable lessons now, so he won't have to later (that's the idea anyway :).  His heart is pure, genuine, and powerful.

When Luke faces challenges or let downs, his natural reaction is to get right back up.  When gymnastics is hard for him, he keeps going and tries harder.  When I watch him learn something new, or fall down skating, or after a fight with a brother or friend---he naturally gets up to try again with a smile; but I love watching his EFFORT AFTER that.  It's like the getting up is right in his blood--but after that, when it's hard--HE TRIES SO HARD without being told.  I don't know how to say this right--but he just has so much heart. 

He loves getting the chance to bare his testimony every fast Sunday at church.  He's not afraid of crowds or giving talks and usually jumps at the chance.  He likes performing and being in the spot light.  He's funny and kind and just freaken awesome.  Love you little man!


No comments: