Sunday, April 14, 2013

Verne Winn

Verne Winn
November 14, 1918---January 18, 2013


Jess' grandpa Winn passed away in January.  I only met him a few times but each time he would sit quietly in the room smiling and listening to everyone.  When he did speak, you could tell it was from a life filled with learning, growth, and wisdom.  
At the funeral, Jess' cousin put together a slide show with pictures and some videos.  I LOVED the story they told of Verne Winn.  We saw so much video footage of he and Jess' grandma Ruth singing at family events. How adorable is that? I love it.  And I didn't realize how much of a serious cowboy he was. Here are a few of my favorites:

Ha ha ha! Just amazing!  I mean, what's the story behind this picture?  One of the stories Jess tells about his grandpa shows his eagerness and devotion to living life in every faucet.  Jess would often see him take random things out of the cupboards to eat together...like pickles and peanut butter-just because he hadn't tried them yet.  :)  I like him.


And have you ever seen a cuter family picture with such real smiles?  (Jess' dad is the one in the plaid suit coat)



He owned a few franchises of KFC's.  How cool is that to have a picture with the genuine Colonel Sanders!

These pictures were taken the weekend of his 90th birthday party in 2008



I love funerals. I love the way you can get to know those who have passed so well from how they've touched others lives.  Jess' dad gave a great talk that I learned such great things about Verne.  
Of the many things Jess' dad has learned from his dad, he shared with that his dad hated laziness. He remembers often being told, 'George, get up and go do something." it almost didn't even matter what it was.  If it was a mistake--he figured the kids would learn from that too. :) But did instruct them to remember who they were.

He also remembers being told "George, have fun." 

And my favorite pearl of wisdom; he taught him to 'Enjoy one moment of joy everyday.' That life can have crappy days, months, and years. But to look at each day, and notice 1 moment of joy in it. 




 I love the classic-ness of this family picture.  It's just perfect.  Love. It.

 Sweet sweet sweet sweethearts.




 Artwork done by Verne Winn.


1 comment:

A Real Winner said...

I love all the pictures you got for this!