Last night was our Ward Campout (Friday). Much of the hot dogs and smores were had (YUMMMM...I love hot dogs and smores!!!). The boys played, we chatted, played some games, then we went to bed. Nice and dry.
So....come 3:15, it started to rain. Jess and I put up the rain guard. APPARENTLY the makers of our tent thought that the tarp actually guarding us from the rain was more of a suggestion...cause...it wasn't so much water proof. We waited, the rain got heavier, we were trying to think if we should ride it out or pack up. Kade kept a great attitude the whole time with soft comments like, "don't you just love the sound the rain makes?"
So...we made the decision that we'd just pack up and sleep the rest of the night in our beds....I walked back and forth with the boys and our stuff and an umbrella. Jess flatened the air mattress' (I like to camp on beds...). We shoved as much stuff as we could into the back seat with the boys because we weren't going to roll up the tent, just cram it into the trunk. We got all packed up and pretty fast too. The boys were in good moods, excellent helpers...we drove to the exit of the camp......and the gate is shut for the night...right...we forgot about that.

Okay--so look for someone to help. We drove and found the rangers residence.
So....come 3:15, it started to rain. Jess and I put up the rain guard. APPARENTLY the makers of our tent thought that the tarp actually guarding us from the rain was more of a suggestion...cause...it wasn't so much water proof. We waited, the rain got heavier, we were trying to think if we should ride it out or pack up. Kade kept a great attitude the whole time with soft comments like, "don't you just love the sound the rain makes?"
So...we made the decision that we'd just pack up and sleep the rest of the night in our beds....I walked back and forth with the boys and our stuff and an umbrella. Jess flatened the air mattress' (I like to camp on beds...). We shoved as much stuff as we could into the back seat with the boys because we weren't going to roll up the tent, just cram it into the trunk. We got all packed up and pretty fast too. The boys were in good moods, excellent helpers...we drove to the exit of the camp......and the gate is shut for the night...right...we forgot about that.
Okay--so look for someone to help. We drove and found the rangers residence.
Cari---"so, you going to go wake him up to let us out?" Jess---"I don't want to, will you?" ......... Neither of us wanted to so.........
We found a nice parking spot and slept the rest of the night in our car. Now when I say slept...what I really mean is this: the car was packed and our seats couldn't so much recline. The boys couldn't so much move either. Not to mention that we were worried the leak in our car (we just have awesome stuff...that's all) wouldn't get Kade soaked during the rest of the night. It was so humid that it was like breathing underwater, but we couldn't unroll the windows cause we'd get all wet. Luke wasn't so much sleepy anymore and was all about playing games and asking questions to which Jess, in his exhausted excitement would make comments about shutting his mouth or be beaten to death...stuff like that.
I think overall we had a really nice time!
We found a nice parking spot and slept the rest of the night in our car. Now when I say slept...what I really mean is this: the car was packed and our seats couldn't so much recline. The boys couldn't so much move either. Not to mention that we were worried the leak in our car (we just have awesome stuff...that's all) wouldn't get Kade soaked during the rest of the night. It was so humid that it was like breathing underwater, but we couldn't unroll the windows cause we'd get all wet. Luke wasn't so much sleepy anymore and was all about playing games and asking questions to which Jess, in his exhausted excitement would make comments about shutting his mouth or be beaten to death...stuff like that.
I think overall we had a really nice time!
14 comments:
Can't...Stop...Laughing!!!
That sounds like a fun time. Wish we could have been there, but on a completely unrelated note, our bed was sure comfy!
What a great family memory! I bet you guys will never forget THAT night! Good for you guys for going and at least trying to brave the weather. Hope you at least got to take a little nap on Saturday! :)
Holy cow, you crack me up, Cari. What a night. All your recent posts were great--I've thought it'd be fun to go to the circus, but I've also been hesitant to go. I thought it'd be fun to go to the state fair (near Macon) but it's so far away and I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Loved the laundry train.
The last line in the last paragraph is awesome :) And I'm sorry you had to sleep in the car; that wouldn't be very fun for most people, but of course the Winn's can make it into a party :D
Dying laughing. Thank you for making my evening of "If I don't get a cookie I am going to KILL MYSELF!" (Rylan) and "wraaaaaaagghhhh" (Branik throwing up his dinner onto the floor that I mopped yesterday) feel a little less sucky. Good times, good times.
You poor guys! At least it makes a super great family story to share/tell throughout the years :)
Sounds like an ejoyable time. I'm sorry taht you got rained out. That's a total bummer.
I seriously love you guys. I need to be more adventurous. That night in the car sounds almost like the greatest night ever!! I love that you make everything into an adventure that your kids will remember forever!!
Too funny - although I'm sure NOT so fun at the time ... especially when 3 year olds WON'T go to sleep no matter what you tell them! HUGS ... better camping next year :)
You know, I think you just made history. That one will be relived for the rest of your lives. And the best part... is how will the story get bigger and better as time passes. Your a trooper!
Didn't it rain on your last ward camp out? You have a better attitude than I would have. I don't think I could write that without sounding bitter. What fun memories.
I love it! You guys have the best luck with rain and camp-outs. :) What great little attitudes your kiddos have! Can't wait to hear about the next camp-out. ;)
All in the name of good memories right? I love those moments that make you completely miserable that you can laugh hysterically about later...!
You know, I think you and Jess could make a great comedy book out of your blogs!! I love it! I'm only sad I'm not there to hear it from your mouths while playing a game of Mexican Dominoe's or something!!!
Post a Comment