Saturday, June 13, 2009

Trip to D.C.



Last week the boys and I drove up to Virginia to visit my sister Nikki. It was sooooooo fun!!! The drive was fantastic, the boys were great, and we did so much fun stuff!! (not to mention that this year the kids all remembered that since they're related, they should love each other! They played so well together!)
Each day we woke up casually, left for a museum downtown, or a park, or something freaken great, ate lunch, and came home to relax and play and eat Nikki's great food!
Dad was even working in Baltimore that week and we got to steal some time with him before we left. It was such a great trip and my boys haven't stopped talking about it. I can't wait till next year! Thanks Nik!
A#1--I don't know how to work my camera so all the inside museum pics are pretty bad...but B#2--how awesome are dinosaur bones? WAY! The kids liked this part a lot. One of the days we went and saw a part of the museum that had a whole bunch of human bones as well....when we were almost done, Luke said, "Mom, can we leave, this place is kinda creepy!" and it so was. I was surprised it took him that long to say it.


Hooray for museums and free entertainment!!!



Here are the kids on the train--my boys loved it!

Nikki and her friends often go to the Opera, and one of the nights I was there was an Opera night....so...I got to go to! I love the theatre!!! I love getting all dressed up and the music and ambiance... It was a neat experience. I did realize that I appreciate listening to English mostly--on account of--I understand it. They did have subtitles we could read (I'm pretty sure it was in Italian?) but one sentence would be written, and then they would sing for five...I missed a lot of the story I'm sure...which--if anyone is familiar with Turandot...the story is a little rough--our group came up with an alternate ending in which the main character dies and we were all much happier with that! THAT BEING SAID. I loved every minute of it and I'm so glad I got to go! Thanks Nik!

Nikki has a great neighborhood with so many little kids! In the evenings they all come out and ride their bikes. At first Kade started without his training wheels on....turns out it's hard work to teach your kid to ride a bike. Basically all I did for 10 minutes (that's all he wanted turns out) was run, holding on to the back of his bike, balancing him as he pedaled as fast as he could. I didn't dare let go...we'll try again another day. ANYWAY, after riding, the kids always found this great climbing tree before going in.


And on the right is their tinker toy musical performance....it was pretty amazing!




In the American History Museum, the basement is dedicated to kids. There is a big area about inventions and science. The kids got to do some experimenting with a group. They learned all about carbon dioxide (who knew that dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide???) and each got their own flasks and glasses and everything. In the end the guy had them all wash in the funnest way. He added soap to the flask of water, and dropped in some dry ice. It bubbled out, but when you smashed the bubbles in your hand--they turn immediately to smoke--coolest thing ever. Kade loved it!
Lucas is finding out what he and fire have in common (they both need oxygen...)



In the Smithsonian there is an insect portion....The kids LOVED IT! We got to see a tarantula eat a cricket, visit the insect petting zoo--giant caterpillar seen below. It was all very interesting but I realized that the next time we go there with Jess--this will be his section with the boys. I really do get so grossed out by bugs. Yuck!


In the gems and rocks part of the Natural History Museum, Kade found a rock (quartz I want to say, on the left middle) that looked exactly like an Oreo...and wanted me to take a picture. It was pretty awesome!











And here are the Brysons and the Winns at Great Falls State Park. This place is gorgeous!!! The kids ran and played and climbed and got so insanely muddy...it was a great great great vacation and I had so much fun with Nikki and her family! Thanks guys! See you next year!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Sounds fun. I've always wanted to go to DC. Can I come next time?

Jonathan and Rachel said...

How FUN!! Looks like you had a blast!

Michelle said...

I had no idea the smithsonian had so many kid friendly activities. It makes me wish we had venture there when we lived in Cleveland. Did you drive up alone? How far away are you guys?

Angie said...

What a grand vacation! That sounds like so much fun. Plus, all of that time with your sister! How awesome.

Bryson Family said...

We had so much fun with you guys here! We miss you already and are looking forward to next year, already thinking that it's way too far in the future!

Spencer and Shalynn said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Lucky to be close to family!

Bart and Misty Brimhall said...

Ok, I know I'm a little slow to comment, but that looks like so much fun!!! Good job on doing fun things! :) Miss you guys!