So....we have a bean jar we use with the kids.
When we notice them doing good things, ordinary stuff--like doing their chores without complaining, or sharing, or being nice to a friend, they get one bean. I struggled for a bit cause we had a "Marble Tin" that we use for bad behavior (starts full each week and if they are naughty they have to take one , and that determines how much money they get for the week.), but no positive reinforcement. ANYWAY--we got this idea from some awesome friends of ours (Bush's) and we love it! So they finally filled it all the way to the top and we wanted to do something really great to show them how grateful we were for their awesomeness.
Lukes' favorite part of the trip, hands down, was staying in a hotel! It's the T.V. in their room the most I think....okay, I know so.
We drove out Monday after school, brought tons of snacks...then realized we were only driving 2 hours...so, we're nerds..but prepared nerds at that. Jess even bought some healthy snacks like cucumbers and grapes. Grapes--awesome, but our kids still don't like anything vegetable like so the cucumber sticks bombed (even with us cause we didn't salt them..and there was frosted animal crackers in the car so, the cucumbers lost.)
The hotel was great, the area we stayed was adorable and the boys went crazy once we got there.
The Atlanta Temple open house was AWESOME. They weren't busy at all the session we went and it was our family and an investigator. We watched an amazingly awesome video about temples with beautiful photography, great music and inspiring words from our prophets! This was my favorite part of the whole tour. A testimony builder for sure! The kids were great and loved seeing the pictures.
Then we walked up to the temple. I'd never seen the inside of this temple before, so I couldn't really compare anything but it was lovely! Temples always are.
I did think it was interesting to note the difference of feeling from being in a dedicated building to one that was not dedicated yet. Yes, you could feel the Spirit because of the nature of the building, but it was just a taste, not the feast you receive after it's been given to the Lord.
The boys loved seeing the rooms, Kades favorite was the Celestial Room (he LOVED the chandelier!) and Luke says his favorite was the Baptismal Font with the oxen. I loved how none of the doors were closed.
The whole tour was so open and stated so simply. I love this gospel! I love how every time I visit the temple I'm sooooo motivated to be such a better person and try harder. This was no exception.
After the tour they led you into this beautiful tent with chandeliers and people holding trays of cookies--AMAZING cookies. For REAL. I've never had a better ginger/molasses cookie in my life. So so so good. So that was a nice topper to our experience :)
After we changed we hit the zoo (for free might I add--so that makes everything better).
The boys love the zoo...although I wouldn't be surprised if they said getting special panda bear stamps on their hands was their favorite thing. Stamps are pretty cool.
Here's the boys sitting in a giant nest...you can't tell, but it was super cute to watch.
That night we celebrated little Luke's FIFTH birthday.
We thought he would love love love to be surprised by balloons and all his presents....so Jess took Luke to the store to get his cake, while Kade and I set up the hotel with helium balloons and gifts and party cups and plates...when Luke came in we shouted, SURPRISE!!! He looked at us for a bit with a little smile saying nothing...then, 'hey guys, we got ice cream at the store.' and walked away.
Fail.
Kade was SOOO excited to surprise Luke--look how happy his face is! I love it!
And after I took this picture of luke I about died. Doesn't he look soooo old? He's 5 already! CRAZY!
Speaking of crazy--I love his eye's in this picture. He picked a vanilla cake with vanilla frosting. It was pretty gross--BUT, he got the cherry which was on top--I'm pretty sure that's why he picked it in the first place.
He was happy that he got RAD cowboy boots from Grandma Winn! He wore them that night, and everyday since then. We had to explain why he had to take them off for T-Ball Practice :)
We finished out our trip with a visit to the Georgia Aquarium....it's kinda expensive...and turns out if you go from 11-2, those are prime hours for a bajillion kids on field trips. So, Kade loved it, Jess was anxious, and the rest of us just tried to keep up with Rhett.
In the end we remembered how freaked fantastic family vacations can be. There's always a
learning curve though....
Like, don't eat lunch at the Aquarium cafeteria. Just because they call it a 'cafeteria' doesn't mean the gross food is cheap, it's just gross food.
Always take the kids to the bathroom before you leave to go anywhere...
other wise you'll have to hold on to that shred of hope that you're child will be able to hold it a tiny bit longer, then find a gas station only to find out their closed, then get trapped on a street with no parking, lots of traffic, giant buildings and one way streets, and end up driving forever just to drag the kids out of the car down giant hills, to use a port-a-potty at a park that's under construction on the side of the road.
Turns out, it doesn't take fancy things to impress our kids, they just want to get a few hours of free t.v. time and automatically you're the best parents ever.
We also learned (a little too late) that if it's your birthday--you can get in free to said aquarium.
We learned that 1 year olds don't particularly love being strapped into a carseats and strollers for very long--and when they walk, they don't so much go where you want them to go.
I see this face a lot. Jess' giant heart is so so beautiful! This is the face he gets when he watches his little men. I think he likes them a little bit.
Our trip was awesome and I can't wait to have a ton more just like it. (but first..I think we'll go on a cruise! YAY! T-10 days!)





5 comments:
Your family is SO CUTE! And you are HILARIOUS! Family vacations are the best. And so is going on a cruise without kids. :) Hope you guys have a great time.
One of the things I LOVE about your posts is that you write the way you talk, so I can actually hear what you're saying and describing in my head. We are stoked to go to the temple this weekend (and I didn't know about the cookies--awesome! :-)).
Cari! I just loved reading this! :) The whole thing made me smile. :D (see)
The picture of your family in front of the temple is beautiful!!!
Fun trip! I like the bean jar idea. Also, cute shirt at the aquarium. :)
I love seeing your family - even if it can only be through blogs and pictures! We miss you guys!
Post a Comment